Dear Lynden School District Families,
Thank you for reading the following information and completing the survey for the start of school options in the fall.
Over the past few months, we have attempted to keep families and parents in the loop by providing information about school closures, distance learning, state and health department guidelines and school district planning to reopen schools in the fall.
This message is intended to provide additional details on the options for students and a link to an initial survey to identify family preference. Things may change between now and the start of school based on new information from state agencies as well as feedback from families on these options. Thanks for being patient as we work through these options.
The following options are a basic framework which reflects current planning. We know that you will have many questions and we will continue to provide updates as well as opportunities for families to ask questions and share feedback. Please join a Zoom Webinar scheduled for next week or send us an email if you have some questions.
There are a few protocols for all grade levels for in person learning when school starts in the fall.
These are based on current state and Department of Health Guidelines:
- All students and staff will wear a face covering unless they have an exemption based on a health concern or other qualifying condition that allows an exception or alternative.
- Classrooms will be set up to maintain a seating chart based on 6 feet distance between students.
- Health checks will be required each day. This may be done by families at home or when students get to school. Details still need to be worked out.
We are also working to establish protocols for cleaning classrooms and schools, transportation, and food services that will comply with health and safety guidelines required by the health department and state agencies to open schools. These plans will be shared with families over the next few weeks.
Options for your child for the 2020-21 school year
Please review the following descriptions for learning options. We are asking that all families complete a survey so we can determine appropriate staffing for each option. We recognize that these decisions are difficult to make in July and circumstances may change between now and the start of school. We will follow up with a registration process in early August to ask families to commit to a specific option for at least the first quarter of the school year.
3 options for reopening schools in the fall:
- Lynden at School – In person learning at school. The number of days students attend school will depend on classroom capacity and the number of students choosing to attend in person learning.
- Lynden Home Connect – Instruction provided primarily by parents. Support provided by Lynden School District teachers which may include elements of virtual instruction and engagement.
- Lynden Online – An independent online learning platform with instruction provided through an asynchronous online format. Students would remain part of Lynden School District with course credits included on the Lynden High School transcript and/or K-8 student cumulative file. An Lynden School District staff member will be assigned to monitor progress and attendance for this program.
*These plans are subject to change based on emerging guidance, family survey results, and health department guidelines.
Find a venue for your next party in the: Whatcom County Birthday & Party Places Guide
Please call ahead and confirm the event is still happening. Find more information here: https://www.whatcomcounty.us/3329/Novel-Coronavirus-COVID-19